Butternut squash is a sweet & nutty fruit that has the shape of squash while the skin, flesh, gut, and seeds resemble a pumpkin. It can be relished as boiled, sautéed, baked or to prepare roasted butternut squash recipe. Let’s check out how to cook butternut squash in the oven and note a few tips on choosing a good butternut squash.
1. How to Pick a Good Butternut Squash
The best way to find out a good quality ripe, moist and tender butternut squash is to try the following 6 handy tips-
- Weight: Guess the heaviness of a few squashes in your hand! Go with the heaviest one. Additionally, tap a little to see if it seems hollow inside. It sure indicates a beautifully ripe butternut squash.
- Stem: Make sure the stem is not missing! Moreover, the area around the stem should not be moldy or tender as it shows the squash has over-ripened. You should pick the one with a deep brownish intact stem that is dry and solid.
- Skin Color: Inspect the tan-yellow skin color of the squashes and select the one which has the darkest matte shade. Eliminate those with shiny hue or greenish streaks as they are still raw.
- Skin Thickness: A good squash has a thick skin and tough exterior. To assure that, try to prick the skin. If your nail goes through smoothly, then the squash is raw.
- Discolored Spot: Of course, you might notice a spot on the surface which has a slightly different shade. If the spot is green, don’t buy it as it signals a raw squash. Otherwise, the discoloring is due to the squash resting on that side so it’s fine to purchase.
- Other Noticeable Signs: Choose a clean surfaced squash avoiding those with cuts, brown marks, tender spots, or cracks. These signs show that the fruit will rot/mold quickly.
2. Roasted Butternut Squash Recipe (cube)
2.1. Things you’ll need
- 1 butternut squash ( 3 – 4 pound), peeled and seeded then cut into 1- ich cubes.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 tablespoons ground black pepper
- A Large Bowl
2.2. Cooking Process:
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 220°C (400 degrees F)
Step 2: Place the butternut squash cubes into a large bowl, and mix well with the oil, black pepper, and salt. Spread and arrange squash in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Then roast for 10 to 15 minutes
Step 3: Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Use a tool to flip and rotate the butternut squash cubes then put the baking sheet back into the oven. Continue baking for about 15 minutes until the squash becomes soft and light yellow on the edges.
Step 4: Take butternut squash out to a plate and let them cool down for a few minutes, then serve
3. Baked Butternut Squash (halved)
3.1. Things you’ll need
- 1 Butternut squash (halved lengthwise; gut & seeds removed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or melted butter
- Salt, pepper & oregano seasoning (1 teaspoon each or as per taste)
- Parsley leaves (freshly chopped for garnishing) (optional)
- A baking tray, aluminum sheet, and fork
3.2. How long to baked butternut squash (halved)
It takes about 30 minutes (5 minutes of prepping and 25 minutes oven time) to roast butternut squash.
3.3. Cooking Process
Step 1: Set the oven at 400°F for preheating.
Step 2: Line the baking tray with foil paper. Place the halved squash (skin-side down) on the lined tray.
Step 3: Brush some oil/melted butter on the squash coating the top flesh side nicely. Also, sprinkle salt, pepper & oregano seasoning.
Step 4: Place the tray in the oven for 25 minutes.
Step 5: Take the squash out, insert a fork and check if it’s soft and well-roasted. If not, put it in the oven for 5 more minutes. If done, let it rest until it comes to room temperature before serving.
Serve the baked butternut squash by scooping out the flesh and garnishing with some freshly chopped parsley leaves. That’s how to cook butternut squash in the oven. It pretty easy, isn’t it? Just remember to use a sharp knife when slicing the squash in half.