Tilapia is a freshwater fish with a lean semi-solid flesh! This fish’s mellow sweet flavor and flaky texture make it apt for the “Baked Tilapia Recipe”.
This easy and quick baked tilapia recipe can be enjoyed at any hour of the day or night. For a wholesome meal, pair the delectable garlicky lemon baked tilapia fillet with stir-fried veggies and bread. It tastes yummy with piping hot fluffy steamed rice as well.
Tilapia is a reasonably priced fish that contains a good amount of lean Protein, Selenium, Vitamin B12, Niacin, Phosphorus, & Potassium.
1. How to Thaw Frozen Tilapia Fillets?
- Begin with unpacking the fish.
- Rinse it thoroughly in the cold running tap water till the ice/frost is completely washed away.
- Place the fish fillets on a plate and dry both sides using a kitchen towel.
2. What are the Best Sources for Buying Farmed Tilapia?
United States, Canada, Ecuador, Peru & Netherlands are the 5 places that supply the best quality of farmed Tilapia. It is advisable to avoid farmed tilapia supplied from China as chemical pollutants were detected by the FDA.
3. Baked Tilapia Recipe – Garlicky Lemon Baked Tilapia
- 3-4 Tilapia fish fillets
- 1 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon (thinly sliced)
- 1 butter stick
- 2 tablespoons garlic (minced)
3.2. For garnishing
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander sprigs (chopped)
Step 1: Start with preheating the oven at 400°F.
Step 2: Place the tilapia fillets in the baking tray side by side. Avoid overlapping!
Step 3: Sprinkle black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt on top of the fillets. Add the lemon juice on the fillets.
Step 4: Next, place a pan on the stove over medium-low heat. Add the butter and let it melt.
Step 5: Now, add the minced garlic and sauté for a couple of minutes.
Step 6: Pour the butter garlic sauce all over the seasoned tilapia fillets. Also, place the lemon slices in the tray randomly.
Step 7: Finally, flip the fillets and put the tray in the oven for 20 minutes.
Once the fish is beautifully baked, transfer it to a serving dish. Shower some oregano on to and garnish with chopped parsley leaves.
Note: Flipping the fish before putting it in the oven is necessary! This step helps the garlic go to the bottom of the baking dish instead of lying on top. Therefore, it saves the garlic from burning during the baking process.
- In case you want to cut down on some calories, skip the butter and make this baked tilapia recipe using 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- A sure sign of the fillet’s doneness is that the fish become soft and its edges turn slightly brownish.
- Two alternatives for cayenne pepper powder are chili flakes and sun-dried red chili powder.
- Besides coriander sprigs, some fresh/dried parsley leaves can also make an excellent herb garnish for this garlicky lemon baked tilapia dish.
This hassle-free baked Tilapia Recipe requires only 25 minutes of cooking time! Therefore, devour this butter and garlicky baked fish with your family over breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Read More: How to cook frozen salmon