Have you tried baked tofu? Here is one of the best-baked tofu recipes that you can easily make at home within an hour! It’s appetizingly crisp texture and flavorsome sweet & savory coating, garnished with the nutty sesame seeds makes it a must-have snack!.
1. How to Make Baked Tofu
Things you’ll need
- A block of extra firm tofu (14-15 ounces)
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 0.25 tsp garlic powder
- 0.25 tsp honey
- 0.25 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds (for garnishing)
How long to baked Tofu?
It takes around 30 minutes to bake tofu. Prepping the tofu block (which includes pressing it, cutting and coating with the sauce mixture) requires an additional 25-30 minutes.
Step 1: Begin with prepping the tofu. Open the packet, drain the extra water, press it, and cut into 1-1.5 inches thick cubes.
Step 2: Set the oven for preheating at 400°F. Also, ready the baking sheet pan by lining it with parchment paper or non-stick cooking spray.
Step 3: While the oven preheats, mix the olive oil with soy sauce, garlic powder, honey, and white wine vinegar.
Step 4: Drop the tofu cubes into the sauce mixture and stir gently using a spoon to coat evenly on all sides.
Step 5: Now, add the corn starch to the sauce-coated tofu cubes part by part. Add a teaspoon and cover each tofu cube nicely with it and then add another teaspoon and mix softly again. (* Make sure the corn starch powder is no longer visible)
Step 6: Transfer the well-coated tofu to the lined baking sheet pan. Using a spoon separate each tofu cube from the other. (*The tofu pieces should neither be touching nor overlapping otherwise they won’t crisp up on all sides)
Step 7: Transfer the sheet pan to the preheated oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes. During the baking, take the sheet pan out of the oven at every 10 minutes interval, flip the cubes and put back into the oven. (*This helps bake and crisp up all the sides evenly; after flipping ensure that no piece is touching/overlapping with one another)
Step 8: Finally, once the tofu cubes look strikingly crisp and golden, take them out of the oven and transfer to a serving dish. Let the baked tofu pieces cool for 5 minutes as cooling helps make it crispier. To serve, sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds on top and enjoy!
- To sweeten the tofu sauce, you can alternate honey with stevia or organic maple syrup.
- In case you have leftover sauce, you may use it as a dip along with the crispy baked tofu.
- For those who prefer some heat in their crispy snacks, can add white pepper powder, cayenne pepper, or chili flakes in the sauce mixture.
- White wine vinegar can be substituted with rice wine vinegar.
- The corn starch powder is the main ingredient giving the tofu pieces a crisp texture so coating it on all the cubes is essential! You can also use arrowroot powder instead.
This baked tofu recipe is an excellent snack/starter to enjoy directly. Other than munching them up as it is, you can also add them to various vegetable/meat stir-fry recipes, relish them in your Caesar salad, or mix them up with fried rice recipes. Irrespective of how you prefer to have them, the crispy baked tofu cubes taste incredible!