Check out – How To Cook Cabbage covered in this post! There is the sautéed cabbage recipe, the fried as well the oven-roasted style. Additionally, you’ll also find about this leafy vegetables’ health benefits, some pointers on choosing a good cabbage, cleaning and storing it.
1. How To Cook Cabbage & FAQs
How to Choose Good Cabbage
A key to a delicious dish always relies on how fresh or good quality the ingredients are! Therefore, check the following hints to choose the best quality cabbage-
- A medium-sized cabbage with a firm head and good weight is a great pick. Out of the 4 varieties of cabbages, the best quality green & red cabbages are usually compact and somewhat heavier than their size. In the case of napa & bok choy cabbage varieties, opt for those having firm stems and greener color.
- See that the cabbage you choose has lots of outer leaves on the head. As for the bottom of the cabbage, ensure the leaves are not drooping from its stem.
- Select those cabbages that have fresh natural shine on the leaves, are crisp in texture and do not have any spots/discoloration.
- November-April is the harvesting time for cabbages and therefore purchasing during those months will help you avail the freshest crops.
How to Clean and Store Unused Cabbage
To clean a cabbage, simply remove the loose/bent outer leaves, then cut into halved/quartered pieces, put in a colander and rinse under cool running tap water. This cleaning process is suitable if you are going to cook the cabbage immediately.
If you plan on storing the cabbage (in the fridge) avoid removing any out leaves, cutting, or rinsing. The reason being that the outer leaves help keep the inner leaves moist and fresh for longer. Washing should be avoided as any extra water trapped in between leaves can lead to molding/rotting.
- To store whole cabbages- put them in a zip-lock bag and keep in the refrigerator’s crisper shelf at high humidity mode. It will last for 2-3 weeks.
- To store halved/quartered/shredded cabbage- sprinkle some droplets of water on the cut side, transfer to an air-tight bag, and place in the refrigerator. Consume within 2-3 days.
If your cabbage starts to release odor, looks shriveled or discolored, it is best thrown away!
3. Lemon Garlic Sauteed Cabbage Recipe
Things you’ll need
- 2 pounds of white cabbage
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic (peeled and minced finely)
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 lemon wedges
- 1 chopped green chili or red chili flakes (optional)
How long to Sauteed Cabbage
It takes 15-20 minutes to cook sautéed cabbage!
Step 1: Prep the cabbage by discarding all the bruised outer leaves. Then, cut it into 4 equal parts, chop off and remove the tough core. Next shred the cabbage using a mandolin or slice thinly with a knife. Transfer to a sieve, rinse thoroughly and shake off excess water.
Step 2: Place a wok (or wide pan) on the stove at medium-high heat. Drizzle the olive oil!
Step 3: As the oil gets hot, release the shredded cabbage in the wok. (*Do not worry if the wok/pan seems overcrowded as the leaves will reduce by 50-60% after cooking)
Step 4: Add the minced garlic, chili, and season with salt. Cook the cabbages for 12-15 minutes by stirring at regular intervals.
Step 5: Once the cabbages reduce in quantity, appear slightly brownish and become soft, they are done!
Turn off the stove, squeeze both lemon wedges, and mix. Taste test to adjust the seasoning and transfer to a serving dish.
4. Roasted Cabbage Recipe With Lemon Garlic Butter
Things you’ll need
- 1 whole cabbage head with a stem
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 stick of Butter
- 3-4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2-2½ tablespoons of lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
How long to roast cabbage
It takes 40-45 minutes to roast cabbage!
Step 1: To prep, start off by peeling and discarding rough & drooping outer leaves of the cabbage. Then cut the cabbage into quarters (4 equal pieces) from top to bottom right through the core! Half each quartered piece to get a total of 8 wedges. (*Do not remove the tough inner core as it helps hold the leaves together while roasting)
Step 2: Set the oven for preheating at 400°F. Ready a baking tray by lining it with foil sheet.
Step 3: Using a cooking brush, coat both sides of each cabbage wedge with olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper powder.
Step 4: Place all the 8 oil-brushed & seasoned cabbage wedges (cut-side down) in the lined baking tray. Transfer to the oven and bake for a total of 40 minutes. At 20 minutes intervals, take the tray out, flip the cabbage wedges and continue roasting. (*the cabbage are perfectly roasted when they are soft and the edges are brown & crisp)
Step 5: Meanwhile, heat a small pan on the stove and melt the butter stick at medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and sauté till light golden brownish.
Transfer the garlic butter to a small bowl. Add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Mix and brush on the roasted cabbage wedges. Enjoy while they are warm!
5. Fried Cabbage Recipe
Things you’ll need
- 1 head of cabbage (shredded)
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil (or olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon nigella seeds
- 2-3 fresh green chilies (slit)
- 1/3 cups fresh green peas (rinsed)
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- Salt (to taste)
How Long to Fried Cabbage
It takes around 10-12 minutes to cook fried cabbage!
Step 1: Place a wok over high heat on the stove and heat the mustard oil. (*You can use a non-stick pan as well, but a deep wok helps to stir the shredded cabbage conveniently)
Step 2: Add the nigella seeds and slit green chilies. Cook for 10-15 seconds.
Step 3: Transfer the rinsed and shredded cabbage along with fresh green peas. Lower the heat to medium and cover the wok. Cook for 5-6 minutes until the leaves are softened and release water.
Step 4: Next, season the cabbage with turmeric powder, sugar, and salt. Continue frying for 3-5 minutes uncovered.
Step 5: As soon as the cabbage is fork-tender and slightly brownish, transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy!
- For meat additions, you can pan-fry chopped bacon pieces until crisp and add it to this cabbage recipe right before serving. Sausages can be used as well!
- If you like a little aromatic spice flavor in your fried veggies then you may add a teaspoon of cumin powder along with turmeric powder.
- Turmeric powder is packed with health benefits but it will change the color of your fried cabbage giving it a slight yellowish tinge. In case you don’t want that, skip it!
6. Health Benefits of Cabbage
Cabbage is immensely beneficial to the human body! This fibrous leafy vegetable contains 3 key vitamins namely Vitamin C, K, and B6. Furthermore, it also contains folate, magnesium, and manganese.
Cabbage works as a shield safeguarding the body from various cancerous diseases such as colon cancer, breast cancer, and prostate cancer. Consuming cabbage regularly can aid in controlling bad cholesterol levels.
In earlier times, Roman people believed that consuming cabbage can naturally relieve from hangovers! Furthermore, having kimchi/sauerkraut (a fermented cabbage delicacy) can help in boosting healthy probiotics in the body!
Now, that you know – How To Cook Cabbage, therefore, you can prepare and enjoy this veggie delight with your family! These easy Cabbage Recipes are ready within minutes, taste delicious and considering their ample health benefits, deserve to be prepared and relished at least once/twice a week.
Read More: Sautéed Red Cabbage Recipes with Onion