Read on for quick guidance on how to cook green beans. The cooking steps are simple and cover both fresh and frozen green beans. Additionally, for fresh green beans, you’ll get to know how to roast, pan-fry, and steam them within minutes. For further assistance, two thawing methods are explained as well.
1. How to Cook Fresh Green beans
1.1. Best Buttery Garlic Green Beans Recipe
Things you’ll need
- 300-350 grams fresh Green Beans (washed & ends trimmed)
- 2 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon butter (softened)
- A pinch of Salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper powder (or black ground pepper)
- 1 teaspoon garlic & onion powder (enhances the flavor)
- A pan with lid & spatula
How long to cook green beans on the stove
It takes 12 – 15 minutes to pan-fry green beans on the stove.
Step 1: Put the trimmed beans in the pan along with 2 cups of water.
Step 2: Place the pan in the stove on high heat and let the water come to a boil. It takes about 3 minutes.
Step 3: When the water starts bubbling, cover the pan with the lid immediately. Simmer and cook until the green beans become tender. It takes about 7 minutes.
Step 4: Remove the lid and drain water, add butter, salt & pepper to green beans cook until butter is melted. Then, add in the garlic & onion powder. Keep stirring for a minute so that the beans turn appetizingly soft & crisp.
Step 5: Turn off the stove and transfer to a serving dish.
Step 6: Enjoy the delicious pan-fried fresh green beans right away.
1.2. Best Oven-Roasted Green Beans Recipe
Things you’ll need
- 1 pound fresh green beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (canola oil/ peanut oil)
- Salt to taste
- White pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (optional)
- A lined baking dish & paring knife
How long to roast green beans in the oven
It takes 16 minutes to roast green beans in the oven.
Step 1: Set the oven for preheating at 425F.
Step 2: Trim both ends of each bean, rinse them under cool tap water, and pat dry with paper towels.
Step 3: Line a shallow baking dish with parchment paper. Transfer the prepped fresh green beans into the dish in an even layer.
Step 4: Drizzle the oil on top of the beans and sprinkle the white pepper powder. Massage the oil and pepper powder to coat all the beans uniformly. Spread out the beans in one layer.
Step 5: Put the dish in the middle rack of the preheated oven for 8 minutes.
Step 6: Take out the tray to add the minced garlic and salt seasoning. Toss them using tongs.
Step 7: Put the tray back in the oven for 8 more minutes.
Step 8: Devour the roasted fresh green beans after 5 minutes of cooling at room temperature. They are soft, crunchy, and amazingly flavorful.
1.3. Microwave – Steam Green Beans Recipes
Things you’ll need
- 450 grams fresh green beans (1 pound)
- 3 tablespoons of Water
- 1 tablespoon of butter or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt & pepper seasoning
- Microwave-safe bowl with lid
How long to steam green beans in the microwave
It takes 5-6 minutes to cook green beans in the microwave.
Step 1: Snap the beans, trim the ends, and rinse under running water.
Step 2: Cut into 2-inch pieces and transfer to a microwave-safe bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of water and cover with the lid.
Step 3: Place the bowl in the microwave for 5-6 minutes on high.
Step 4: Remove the bowl from the oven. Uncover the lid and drain the water.
Step 5: Add the butter. Season with salt & pepper. Mix the tender steamed green beans and serve.
Tip: You can also add crushed garlic cloves into the bowl (before putting it in the microwave) for added flavor.
2. How to Cook Frozen Green Beans
2.1. Are Frozen Green Beans Good for you?
Yes, frozen green beans are healthy and safe to consume. In fact, there is no difference is the nutritional profile of fresh and frozen green beans! This was found by researchers at the University of California and the University of Georgia who conducted a thorough research on fresh and frozen vegetables.
2.2. How To Thaw Frozen Green Beans?
30-60 minutes Thawing Technique: Do this right before cooking the frozen beans
- Remove the frozen green beans from the package and put them in a colander (a rinsing bowl with tiny holes).
- Place the colander in the sink under the tap’s cool running water. (*If you use warm tap water, it’ll help thaw the beans quicker)
- Keep stirring the beans occasionally during the thawing process.
- There is no need to replace the water as the colander’s tiny holes will keep draining the beans continuously.
- In 30-60 minutes the beans will defrost and come to room temperature.
24 hours Thawing Technique: Do this a day before cooking the frozen beans
- Take a plate. Place a paper/cloth towel on it.
- Put the packet of frozen green beans on the paper/cloth towel. (This will save from spilling the excess water while the beans defrost)
- Put the plate of frozen green beans in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
NOTE: Avoid leaving the packet of frozen green beans on the kitchen top for thawing at room temperature. This is an unhealthy technique and best not followed.
2.3. How to Cook Frozen Green Beans in the Oven – Frozen Green Bean Recipes
Things you’ll need
- 450-500 grams frozen Green Beans (1 pound)
- ½ tablespoon Olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon Garlic powder
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Lined baking tray & a spatula
How long to cook frozen green beans in the oven
It takes about 55 minutes to cook frozen green beans in the oven.
Step 1: Set the oven for preheating at 425°F.
Step 2: Transfer the frozen green beans to a baking tray lined with greased parchment paper. Try to spread out the frozen beans in the greased baking tray.
Step 3: Put the tray in the oven for 10-15 minutes. During this time the frozen beans will warm up and change into a vibrant green shade.
Step 4: After 10-15 minutes of warming the beans, take the tray out and drizzle with the oil. Add the garlic powder, salt & pepper seasoning. Toss them or mix with a spatula to coat the beans evenly. Put it back in the oven for 10 minutes.
Step 5: Next, take the tray out again, sprinkle the parmesan cheese, and stir the beans nicely to coat the cheese all over. Make sure to spread the beans again in a single layer without overlapping.
Step 6: Put the tray back in the oven for 10-15 more minutes. In between, at 5-7 minutes interval, take the tray out and flip the beans for perfect roasting.
Step 7: Enjoy the cheesy roasted green beans right away.
The above information on “How to cook green beans” will help you make fresh as well as frozen green beans easily. Enjoy your plate of yummy & health green beans in your cozy home!
Read More: How to Cook Asparagus