Read through the details of how to boil eggs perfectly. Along with the elaborate steps of achieving either hard-boiled or soft-boiled eggs, you’ll also find tips to peel boiled eggs easily.
1. What are the different ways to boil eggs?
There are 3 different ways to boil eggs namely
- Soft-boiled: In this type, the yolk is runny (liquid-like) and the egg whites are soft.
- Medium-boiled: The yolk is soft but not runny, and the egg whites are semi-firm.
- Hard-boiled: Yolk is all set and the egg whites are firm.
2. How to Boil Eggs
- Place 5-6 eggs gently at the bottom of a saucepan and pour water. The water level should be 1-2 inches above the eggs.
- Transfer the saucepan on the stove and bring the water to a boil over high heat. (*you may add a teaspoon of salt or half a teaspoon of white vinegar to save the eggs from cracking during the cooking process)
- Once the water comes to a rolling boil, turn off the stove. Cover the saucepan with a well-fitted lid and let it sit for 10-12 minutes on the hot stove.
- To finish off, uncover, strain the water, and pour cold water into the saucepan. Change the cold water 2-3 times until the eggs have cooled and can be peeled.
3. How Long to Hard Boil Eggs?
On The Stove: It takes 12-15 minutes to hard boil eggs on the stove.
In the microwave: When cooking hard-boiled eggs in the microwave 2 eggs require 4 minutes, 4 eggs need 5 minutes, while 6 eggs need 6 minutes, and 9 eggs require about 8 minutes. After cooking the eggs in the microwave the eggs need to sit in the hot water for 3 more minutes on the kitchen top.
In the instant pot: It takes 6-7 minutes to hard boil eggs in a 6-quarts instant pot set on high pressure. After cooking is done, the eggs need to sit on an ice water bath for 1 minute before peeling.
4. How Long To Soft Boil Eggs?
On The Stove: To cook soft-boiled eggs on the stove it takes 5 minutes (for a runny yolk) or 7 minutes (for semi-soft yolk).
In the Microwave: It takes 3-3½ minutes to cook soft-boiled eggs in the microwave.
In an instant pot: It takes 3 minutes to cook soft-boiled eggs in an instant pot at low pressure.
5. How Do You Get Boiled Eggs To Peel Easily?
Use eggs that are a few days’ older rather than fresh ones. Older eggs are more acidic, their shell soaks up more air and they tend to contract in size which all aid in peeling them after being boiled.
Adding a pinch of salt or half a teaspoon of any acidic vinegar at the time of boiling makes peeling convenient.
Cool the eggs completely before peeling so that the shell gets slightly separated from the egg. To do so, put the boiled eggs in ice-cold water or rinse hot eggs in running cold tap water.
Roll the boiled & cooled eggs on the kitchen counter so that there are cracks all over. Begin to peel from a crack at the center of the egg and you’ll notice that the shell will get removed effortlessly.
Hoping the above information on how to boil eggs can assist you to cook them appropriately without making a mess!
Read More: Best way to cook chicken breast in oven