Have you been wondering how to cook asparagus in a healthy and delicious yet simple and quick way? I’m sure that, you will be delighted to read through the 4 yummy ways of cooking asparagus that meet all your criteria in this article.
1. How To Pick Good Asparagus?
Choose asparagus with a straight body, with the tops not bent. There is a sense of crunchiness when holding in hand, and there are “cries” if you break them in half.
Asparagus is confirmed to be fresh only when the root is not withered and the tip is not yellowish. Because when they turn yellow, it’s a sign of asparagus wilting.
You can choose asparagus, big or small, depending on your needs. The size of asparagus does not affect the hardness or softness of asparagus when it is cooked. But low asparagus is often more suitable for decorating dishes than for cooking.
Avoid asparagus plants with scars or spots. If asparagus flowers appear, do not hesitate to throw them in the trash—fresh asparagus, when smelling does not smell.
2. How to Prepare Asparagus?
To peel asparagus, it would help if you only were paring the outer part of 1/3 of the asparagus stem from the base upwards. If you intend to use them, the tip of the asparagus is very fresh young, and soft, so you don’t need to peel it.
Besides, you should only operate from the beginning of the asparagus to the smooth stem; from the hard stem to the root of the asparagus, you should remove it. To find out where the complex parts of asparagus begin, Pickup asparagus and bend them.
To wash asparagus, you need to rinse asparagus under running water to clean the sand in the gaps at the beginning of the asparagus. If you want the asparagus to be completely clean, prepare a medium-sized plastic tub, add a salt pinch to the water, and soak the asparagus for 20 minutes.
3. How To Cook Asparagus on the Stove
- Asparagus (10-12 spears)
- Garlic (1 teaspoon, crushed)
- Lemon Juice (1 tablespoon)
- Olive Oil (1/2 Tablespoon)
- Ground Black Pepper
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil and add the prepped asparagus. Sautee for 6-7 minutes over medium flame.
- Add the garlic paste and lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper as per taste. Cook for a minute. Serve at room temperature!
4. How To Cook Asparagus in the Oven
Detailed information about Oven Roast Asparagus Recipe you can read here
5. How to Cook Asparagus in the Microwave
- 1 pound of fresh asparagus (untrimmed)
- Two tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- One teaspoon minced garlic (or garlic powder)
- One tablespoon lemon juice (optional) (adds a zingy flavor)
- Microwave-safe bowl, knife, & a small bowl
- Transfer the prepped asparagus into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil on the green veggie.
- In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice, minced garlic, and salt. Pour it all over the asparagus.
- Place the asparagus in the Oven for 3 minutes at high. (*Do not cover the bowl)
- When the time is up, remove the bowl from the Microwave, and serve.
Tips: To check the doneness of the asparagus, poke it with a fork to see if they are soft. A perfectly cooked asparagus is a beautiful green in color and has a smooth texture. If the asparagus has a mushy texture and dark green color, then it is over-cooked.
6. How to Cook Asparagus on the Grill
- 12-18 fresh asparagus (untrimmed spears)
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder (or paprika powder)
- One garlic clove (peeled & crushed)
- Charcoal grill, mixing bowl, & tongs
- Get the charcoal grill preheated at high heat, approximated 450°F.
- Next, you put prepped asparagus in a mixing bowl then drizzle the olive oil, add the crushed garlic, and sprinkle the salt & pepper on the asparagus. Give everything a toss.
- Place the marinated asparagus directly on the hot grill using tongs. Close the lid and cook for 5 minutes.
- Uncover the lid, flip the asparagus, close the top again, and cook for five more minutes.
- Finally, remove them from the grill and serve.
Now that you know how to cook asparagus in various ways, prepare them for breakfast sides, brunch, or snacks! Be healthy and keep your family healthy by consuming home-cooked asparagus!