Black beans are a type of bean that has a great taste and has many health benefits. If you’re looking for the best way to cook this type of bean, you are in the right place. How To Cook Black Beans in this article are easy to apply and help you save time when cooking black beans at home
1. Do Black Beans have to be soaked Before Cooking?
If you don’t soak black beans, you can still cook them normally, but it will take a long time. So, soaking it overnight before cooking is still a perfect option. You can follow either of the below soaking methods and if you are wondering – How long to soak black beans? This is the answer for you.
- Long Soak: requires 8-24 hours of soaking black beans in cold water & salt! To soak 1 cup of dried black beans, you’ll need 8 cups of water and 1.5 Tbsp salt.
- Quick Soak: requires 1-1.5 hours of soaking black beans in salted hot water! Add a cup of beans to a pot, fill it with water (2 inches above the seeds), & add salt (1 tsp). Bring the water to a boil for 1 minute, turn off the Stove, cover the pot, and leave it aside to soak for 1-1.5 hours.
2. What is the fastest way to cook black beans?
The fastest way to cook black beans is to use the instant pot to cook them. Because you won’t have to waste time soaking black beans and cooking time is only about 40 minutes (Detailed instructions are at the end of the article). However, in my opinion, cooking black beans on the stove still feels better when eaten
3. Are black beans healthy?
Black beans are a type of bean that contains a lot of protein, fiber, folic acid, omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, iron, manganese, and many other nutrients. Besides, black beans also have health benefits such as:
- Help you slow down the aging process
- Improve the immune system,
- Support weight loss & Beautify the skin
- Prevent cardiovascular diseases
- Control of diabetes.
4. How to Cook Black Beans
- 1 cup of dry black beans (200 grams) (quick-soaked)
- 4 cups of filtered water (or vegetable stock)
- 1 tsp salt
Instructions – Stovetop Method
Step 1: First, you should pick through your black beans by removing all the debris, tiny rocks, or harmful particles. Transfer to a sieve and rinse thoroughly under running cold water. Then, follow the quick-soak method, as mentioned above.
Step 2: After soaking time over, drain the beans and rinse gently.
Step 3: Transfer the soaked black beans to a pot. Pour the water/stock and season with salt. (*Here, you can also add peeled whole onions, garlic cloves, spice seasoning & preferred sauces for additional flavor)
Step 4: Place the pot on the stove over medium-high heat. As soon as the water starts simmering, adjust the temperature to low, and cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 1 hour until the black beans softened. (If you use black beans that are too old and live in an area that has hard water, the cooking time will need more). Finally, turn off the stove, drain the excess liquid, and serve warm!
Tips: You should regularly check the amount of water in the pot to make sure the black beans are covered at all times and stir so that black beans don’t stick to the bottom of the pot.
Instructions – Instant Pot Method
Step 1: Firstly, add 1 pound dry black beans (no need to soak before cooking), 8 cups of water (or broth), salt, and onion to the instant pot.
Step 2: Cook them at high pressure for 40 minutes then let the steam pressure escape to nature for about 20 minutes.
Step 3: Finally, open the lid, remove excess water and onion. Serve or make other black beans recipes
Now, you know how to cook black beans on the Stove & in the Instant Pot. I hope after reading this article, you will have a delicious bowl of black beans to enjoy at home. Good Luck
Read More: How To Cook Red Lentils