If you are looking for how to cook canned black beans on the stove?. My answer is you have come to the right place. In this article, I will instruct you to heat up and enhance the flavor of canned black beans to taste better and you will feel this recipe is straightforward to make.
1. Are Black Beans From a Can Already Cooked?
Yes, canned black beans are pre-cooked. Therefore, they can be eaten right out of the can. For direct consumption, canned black beans can be added to fresh salads, used for making dips, or stuffing them in burgers/sandwiches.
However, enhancing canned black beans taste better by cooking them on the stove for a few more minutes is a good idea as well, because:
- Draining and rinsing (with cold water) the canned black beans before cooking helps get rid of the oligosaccharides exiting in the can’s liquid.
- Unlike raw black beans, canned black beans don’t require hours of soaking. Thereby, reducing the prep time and aiding in making a delicious nourishing meal quickly for the family.
2. How To Cook Canned Black Beans on Stove
- A can of black beans (around 2 cups)
- 1- 1½ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot (chopped) and 1 tomato (diced)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (chopped roughly)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2½ teaspoons cumin powder
- A teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
- A teaspoon salt (or as per taste)
- A can of filtered water (about 2-2½ cups)
- A deep non-stick frying pan and spatula
Step 1: Open the can of beans, drain the liquid, rinse them thoroughly under running cold water, then set it aside. Place the pan on the stove at medium-high heat and drizzle the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped shallot and sauté for 2 minutes by stirring frequently.
Step 2: Next, add the tomatoes and cilantro. Fry them by stirring regularly for 2 minutes.
Step 3: Now, add the garlic, oregano, cumin, chili powder & salt. Stir continuously for 1-2 minutes. Now add the beans and filtered water into the pan. Stir the ingredients and turn the stove on high heat.
Step 4: Lower the heat to medium-high after the water is halved. Using the back of the spatula, mash the semi-cooked beans to thicken the gravy.
Step 5: Turn off the stove as soon as the broth reaches your desired consistency. Serve the aromatic black beans gravy along with soft white rice.
3. What To Do With Canned Black Beans?
Rice: Black beans and rice is a classic and easy-to-make combination. You can cook the rice according to the package instructions and mix in the black beans for a hearty and satisfying meal.
Tacos or Burritos: Canned black beans are a great filling for tacos or burritos. You can mix the beans with some spices like chili powder, cumin, and paprika, and add toppings like shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, cheese, and sour cream.
Salad: Black beans can be a great addition to salads. You can mix the beans with some chopped vegetables like bell peppers, red onions, and cherry tomatoes, and dress with a simple vinaigrette.
Soup: Black bean soup is a delicious and filling dish. You can blend the canned black beans with some vegetable or chicken broth, add some sautéed onions, garlic, and spices, and simmer until thick and creamy.
Quesadillas: Canned black beans can also be used as a filling for quesadillas. You can mix the beans with some shredded cheese, chopped onions, and spices, and grill the quesadillas until crispy and golden.
Now, you know how to cook canned black beans taste good. Hopefully, this article can help you make a canned black bean more perfect at home. Good luck!
Read More: How To Cook Black Beans