Canned hominy is a shelf-stable product made from dried corn kernels that have been cooked and canned in a liquid brine. Hominy is quite versatile and adds great texture and flavor to Mexican dishes like pozole stew, tamales, and hominy salsa. In this article, I will provide for you step-by-step instructions on how to cook canned hominy
1. Does Canned Hominy Need To Be Cooked?
The short answer is no. Canned hominy is fully cooked during the commercial canning process and ready to eat right out of the can. However, cooking it further enhances its flavor, texture, and allows you to alter texture and seasoning to your liking. Follow some easy methods for cooking canned hominy below.
2. How To Cook Canned Hominy
Here are four simple ways to cook canned hominy:
Simmer plain in water/broth – Drain hominy and rinse if desired. Simmer in water, vegetable or chicken broth for 5-10 minutes until heated through. Season as desired.
Sauté in oil or butter – Drain hominy and pat dry. Heat oil or butter in pan. Sauté hominy for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently until warmed through and lightly browned. Season with salt, pepper, spices.
Fry for crispy hominy – Drain then pat hominy very dry. Fry in 1/2 inch hot oil for 2-3 minutes until crispy and browned. Sprinkle with salt.
Add to soups or stews – Drain hominy then add to simmering soups, chilies, pozoles and stew the last 10-20 minutes of cooking time to heat through.
3. Is Canned Hominy Good For You?
Yes, canned hominy can be a nutritious pantry staple when enjoyed in moderation as part of an overall healthy diet. Here are some of the top benefits of eating canned hominy:
- High in Fiber – A 1/2 cup serving contains around 4 grams of fiber for digestive health.
- Provides Protein – With around 3 grams of plant-based protein per 1/2 cup serving.
- Rich in Iron – Contains 10% of the recommended daily amount of iron per serving.
- Source of B Vitamins – Particularly provides a boost of niacin and folate.
- Contains Antioxidants – Includes beneficial antioxidants like lutein, zeaxanthin, anthocyanins.
- Whole Grain Goodness – Made from the whole corn kernel retaining all its nutritional value.
- Gluten-Free & Low Fat – An option for those avoiding gluten or added fats.
- Boosts Immunity – Vitamin C and antioxidants support immune health.
- Heart Healthy – Fiber and plant sterols help reduce cholesterol levels.
Canned hominy provides many of the same benefits as fresh corn on the cob in an easy to use, shelf-stable presentation. It can be enjoyed year round as a side dish or used to make a variety of Mexican favorites. Follow some quick cooking methods to heat up canned hominy.