On youtube, there are many videos teaching How to cook Farro. But it is difficult for you can to follow the instruction. That is why we want to write in detail each step, so you can do it at home with good preparation. Let’s go!
1. How To Cook Farro & FAQs
1.1. What’s Farro?
Farro is a type of whole grain wheat. It is an ancient grain that is larger and more oblong than barley. Taste-wise, it has an earthy nuttiness and bite-like texture.
This affordable nutritious grain is often cooked with water, stock, or broth. It is a befitting ingredient for making soups, risottos, vegan/vegetarian stews, casserole dishes, salads as well as sautés!. There are 3 different varieties of Farro sold in the market:
- Whole grain Farro: Bran intact & takes 3 hours to cook.
- Semi-pearled Farro: Some portion of bran removed and takes 25-30 minutes to cook
- Pearled Farro: Bran removed. It takes 15 minutes to cook but contains lesser nutrition compared to the whole grain & semi-pearled variety.
1.2. Should farro be soaked before cooking?
The whole grain Farro needs to be soaked overnight. Because this will help you digest easily and reduce time when cooking farro
1.3. Is Farro better for you than rice?
Farro is a good cereal for your health. It is better than rice and has much nuttier in flavor after cooking
2. How to Cook Farro on the Stove
- 1 cup of farro (semi-pearled)
- 3 cups of water or vegetable/meat stock (about 700-720ml)
- 0.25 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or butter (optional)
How long to cook farro on the stove?
Farro takes 30 minutes to cook on the stove. When soaked overnight, it requires 10 minutes to cook. At the time of cooking use fresh water instead of the same water in which the grains were soaked!
Step 1: Rinse a cup of farro under running tap water. If you have soaked the farro you can skip this step
Step 2: Transfer the rinsed farro into a medium saucepan. Pour water/stock, season with salt, & drizzle the olive oil. Mix the ingredients.
Step 3: Place the saucepan on the stove over high heat and let it come to a boil.
Step 4: Once the liquid starts bubbling, reduce the heat to low, and cover the pot with a lid. Let the farro simmer for 30 minutes. If farro has been soaked, you only need to cook for 10 minutes
Step 5: After 10 minutes has elapsed, turn off the stove, uncover and serve!
Tips When Cooking Farro:
- A perfectly cooked farro has a soft yet chewy texture.
- If you notice some excess liquid in the saucepan after cooking is done, drain it! Do not overcook to evaporate the liquid.
- To save the cooked farro from turning mushy, transfer it to a rimmed baking tray, and spread evenly.
Do you know how to cook farro? Is it easy? Even a child can learn to do this. Please make your own cereal and enjoy daily to have a better healthy life and adding this nutritious grain into your meal plan!
Read More: How To Cook Quinoa