Mung beans are a common type of bean in the kitchen. Today, we will instruct you on how to cook Mung Beans with coconut milk. This is the best way to enjoy mung beans at home.
1. How To Cook Mung Beans with Coconut Milk
- 1 cup dry mung beans (rinsed)
- 1 medium-sized onion (peeled & chopped)
- 1½ tablespoons garlic (peeled & minced)
- 1½ tablespoons ginger (peeled & minced)
- 1½ teaspoons cumin powder
- Two teaspoons coriander powder
- One teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt (or as preferred)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- Fresh cilantro leaves (chopped) (for garnishing)
Step 1: Add soaked mung beans to a pot along with 2 cups of water. Place the pot on the stove at high heat and bring the water to a boil. Cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 15-20 minutes on low heat as the water starts bubbling. Turn off the stove.
Step 2: Place a pan on the stove and heat one tablespoon of olive oil. Add the chopped onions, minced ginger, and garlic into the hot oil and fry on medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes. Stir frequently.
Step 3: When the onions turn golden, add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, and chili powder. Stir continuously and cook for a couple of minutes. Add 2-3 teaspoons of water so that the spices don’t burn.
Step 4: Add cooked soft mung beans in step 1 into the pan. Then pour 2 cups of water and season with salt. Stir occasionally and let the mung beans simmer for 5 minutes until it reaches your preferred consistency.
Step 5: Turn off the stove and drizzle the coconut milk on top. Allow the soup to cool down a bit before serving. Serve garnished with fresh cilantro leaves.
How To Cook Mung Beans with Coconut Milk is an excellent combination to the present time. I hope you can follow the above instructions to have a good result. Good luck.
Read More: How To Cook Lentils