How to cook scallops and what is the best scallop recipe? are questions that many people are interested in. You can cook scallops in 3 different ways and don’t worry about defrosting scallops, I’ll instruct you. Now, together with me find out the details of the article
1. Instructions For Thawing Frozen Scallops
There are three ways to thaw frozen scallops:
- Cut the frozen bag of scallops. Transfer the chunk of frozen scallops into a large clean bowl/dish. Cover with a lid/plastic wrap.
- Leave it in the fridge (37°F) for a day (24 hours) to thaw completely.
- It’s a safe method where you can be assured that the scallops won’t get damaged or contaminated while thawing.
- This technique preserves the natural flavor of the scallops but is pretty time-consuming.
1.2. Water Bath:
- Grab a large resealable plastic bag and stuff it with the frozen scallops. Seal the bag securely.
- Place the sealed bag of frozen scallops in a large bowl. Put the bowl under running tap water.
- Fill the bowl with the tap’s cold water. Change the water every 10 minutes until the scallops have thawed.
- This method takes about 30-60 minutes, depending on the number of scallops.
- Take the frozen scallops out of the packet. Put them in a large microwave-safe bowl/dish (to avoid spilling while defrosting).
- Place a 3-ply paper towel on top of the frozen scallops (it saves from the scallops getting cooked in the microwave).
- Put the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds in the defrost setting.
- Take the bowl out and check. If the scallops are still frozen, put them in for 30 more seconds.
- This method is somewhat risky, so best use it only for urgent situations.
2. Pan-Seared Scallops Recipe – How To Cook Scallops on the Stove
- 7-8 scallops
- Salt & black pepper powder seasoning (as per taste)
- One tablespoon olive/vegetable oil
- One tablespoon butter
- A cast-iron pan, paper towels, tongs
How long to Pan Fry Scallops
It takes 4-5 minutes to pan-fry scallops.
Instructions – How To Pan Fry Scallops
Step 1: Wash the scallops and place them on a paper towel. Using another paper towel, pat dry.
Step 2: Now, season the top side of the scallops with salt & black pepper powder.
Step 3: Put the cast-iron pan on the stove at high heat. Pour the oil, spread it all over the pan, and let it get boiling until slight smoke is visible.
Step 4: Next, put the scallops (seasoned side-down) cautiously into the smoking hot oil one at a time. Season the top-side with salt & pepper. Ensure the scallops don’t touch one another and have half an inch gap between them—Cook for 1½ minutes.
Step 5: Add the butter. Flip the scallops using tongs. Allow this side to cook for 1½ minutes.
Step 6: Turn off the stove. Transfer the pan-seared scallops immediately to a plate to save them from getting over-cooked in the hot pan.
3. Baked Scallops Recipe – How to Cook Scallops in the Oven
- 10-12 Scallops
- One tablespoon melted Butter
- One tablespoon Lemon Juice
- One tablespoon seasoning (garlic powder, salt, and dried parsley)
- Shallow Baking tray
How Long To Bake Scallops
It takes about 6-8 minutes to broil scallops in the oven. On the other hand, baking the scallops takes about 15 minutes.
Instructions – How To Bake Scallops
Step 1: Rinse the scallops under running tap water and pat them dry with paper towels.
Step 2: Press the “broil button” to get the oven preheated while prepping the scallops.
Step 3: Transfer the pat-dried scallops into the baking tray.
Step 4: In a bowl, mix the melted butter with lemon juice, & seasoning. Pour the seasoning on top of the scallops and coat them evenly.
Step 5: Place the baking tray into the oven and let them boil for 6-8 minutes.
Step 6: Take them out of the oven, shift to a serving dish, and serve immediately.
4. Grilled Scallops Recipe – How to Cook Scallops on the Grill
- 15-20 Scallops
- 3-4 tablespoons extra virgin Olive Oil
- 1½ teaspoons salt & ground black pepper seasoning
How Long To Grill Scallops
It takes 3-4 minutes to grill scallops.
Instructions – How To Grill Scallops
Step 1: Set the grill at 400°F-450°F (medium-high temperature) for preheating.
Step 2: In the meantime, rinse the scallops, and using paper towels, dry them thoroughly.
Step 3: Place the scallops on a dish and drizzle the olive oil on top. Sprinkle salt and ground black pepper seasoning. Coat the scallops evenly with the oil and seasoning.
Step 4: Now, oil the grates of the grill. Put the scallops (using tongs) on the preheated grill one by one. Remember, not to overlap or place the scallop sticking to each other. Maintain an inch gap between each scallop.
Step 5: Grill for 1½ minutes uncovered. You’ll notice that the scallops are not sticking to the grate anymore, and grill marks are visible.
Step 6: Time to flip the scallops with the help of tongs. Cook this side uncovered for 1½ minutes as well.
Step 7: Lastly, transfer the grilled scallops to a serving dish. Give the cooked scallops a minute resting time before serving.
Step 8: Serve the grilled scallops with a lemon, garlic butter dipping sauce.
5. Tips When Cooking Scallops at Home
- While rinsing the scallops, check if the tendon is still attached. The cord is inedible, so remove it before cooking.
- Whenever pan-searing/grilling the scallops, make sure they are dry or else the golden caramelized crust will not form while cooking.
- When flipping the scallops, either in the pan/grill, try to flip each scallop in a similar order in which you had placed them in the pan/grill. That is, flip the first placed scallop first and so on.
Well, the last results seem so yummy. I want to enjoy it right now? What about you? Will you try to learn how to cook scallops? I wish you also love it like me!
Read More: How to cook lobster tails