This cooking instruction covers the details on “how to cook sweet potatoes” in 3 varied kitchen appliances. Let’s start with a few handy tips for choosing good quality sweet potatoes & their health benefits.
1.How to Pick a Good Sweet Potatoes
- The most variety of sweet potatoes having reddish or orange colored skin is quite yummy. Avoid the purple/pale yellowish skinned sweet potatoes, often called the dry variety.
- Opt for the medium or small-sized sweet potatoes as they have a sweet taste and creamy texture. Large-sized potatoes are a bit extra starchy.
- Pick the ones that are firm! Reject those that seem soft, soggy or wet when held in the hands.
- The even-colored, spot-free, no-bruise & no-wrinkle skinned potatoes is a good one. Stay away from the sweet potatoes with discolored skin or visible growths.
2.Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are rich in Vitamin A that helps maintain good vision and body’s immunity.
It is highly fibrous aiding to maintain great gut & heart health. Strong gut supports a fit body by boosting the digestive system and eliminating unwanted toxins. Good heart health suggests protection from cardiovascular diseases and having balanced blood pressure levels.
Sweet potatoes are excellent for those having diabetes. It also contains anti-inflammatory properties and can safeguard from cancer as well as ulcers. Furthermore, since sweet potatoes are loaded with magnesium, therefore consuming them can help reduce stress levels and anxiety immensely.
- How to Cook Sweet Potatoes in Stove _ Pan-Fried Sweet Potatoes
Things you’ll need
- 3 sweet potatoes (peeled & sliced)
- 2-3 Tablespoons Olive oil (or any cooking oil)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt (to taste)
- A frying pan, peeler, knife & wooden spoon
How long to cook sweet potatoes in Stove
It takes 10-12 minutes to cook sweet potatoes in the stove.
Cooking Process: Pan-Fried Sweet Potatoes
- Wash & peel the sweet potatoes. Slice into 1/2-inch thick disc shapes. Cut the disks in half.
- Place the pan on the stove at medium-high heat. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil, spread it all over the pan and let it heat up.
- Add the sliced potatoes. Using a wooden spoon spread the potatoes all over the pan without overlapping. Sprinkle salt & pepper seasoning on top. Let the first side cook for 4-5 minutes until lightly charred.
- Flip the potatoes. Season once again with some salt & pepper. Add a tablespoon of oil if needed. Let this side cook for 4-5 minutes as well.
- Turn off the stove and transfer the fried sweet potatoes to a serving plate. Enjoy the slightly crisp yet tender sweet potatoes as a snack or side.
Tips: Pan-fried sweet potatoes taste delicious with skin as well. Therefore, peeling is an optional step. For additional flavor, you can also add garlic powder, spice mix, chili flakes, etc.
- How to Cook Sweet Potatoes in Microwave
Things you’ll need
- A medium-sized sweet potato
- Tongs and High Grill Rack
How long to cook sweet potatoes in a microwave
It takes 7-8 minutes to cook a medium-sized sweet potato in the microwave at high. Smaller ones will need lesser time while large-sized sweet potatoes may need a couple of extra minutes to cook through.
- Poke the sweet potato all over with a fork. (This helps air to escape from the potato during the baking process).
- Place the sweet potatoes on the high grill rack and put them in the microwave for 3 minutes on high.
- Next, uncover and flip the semi-baked sweet potato. Then put them once again in the microwave for 3½-4 minutes on high.
Finally, take out and serve. Relish the deliciously tender baked sweet potato by cutting it in half. Add a dollop of butter on top, along with some salt & pepper sprinkling.
Tip: To check the doneness, insert the fork into the sweet potato after removing it from the microwave. It the fork gets through to the center effortlessly then the potato is perfectly baked.
- How to Cook Sweet Potatoes in the Oven – Best Baked Sweet Potato Recipe
Things you’ll need
- 4 sweet potatoes (average-sized)
- Olive oil (vegetable oil or other cooking oil)
- Salt (as per taste)
- 1-2 teaspoons crushed black pepper
- Baking tray, peeler, & knife.
How long to cook sweet potatoes in the oven
It takes 30-35 minutes to cook sweet potatoes in the oven at 220°C or 425°F (½-inch thick pieces). If the potato pieces are 2-inch thick, they can take up to 45-50 minutes in a preheated 450°F oven.
Cooking Process: Baked Sweet Potato
- Before beginning to prepare the sweet potatoes, set the oven for preheating at 220°C.
- To prep, peel the sweet potatoes and discard the skin. Next, chop them into half-inch thick cubes.
- Transfer the chopped sweet potatoes pieces into the baking tray. Drizzle with oil, salt, and pepper. Mix and coat them evenly with the oil & seasoning.
- Next, spread out the coated sweet potatoes pieces evenly across the baking tray in one layer without overlapping. Put the tray in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Take out the tray and flip the sweet potatoes at 10 minutes interval 2 times.
- Finally, when the 30 minutes are up, remove the tray from the oven and test a sweet potatoes piece. If it needs a little more roasting. Flip the pieces one last time and put the tray back in the oven for 5 more minutes. Devour the drooling oven-roasted sweet potatoes sprinkled with some fresh/dried parsley.
Tip: When arranging the sweet potatoes in the baking tray, be careful not to overlap them. Otherwise, you’ll end up with steamed sweet potatoes instead of roasted ones.
After learning how to cook sweet potatoes conveniently in the stove, microwave, and oven, it is worth a try! The sweet-flavored and meaty textured sweet potatoes with salt & pepper seasoning are a delectable healthy treat.