One more topic about Tofu. I will instruct you – How To Cook ToFu, not with the oven in the previous article but by a pan with Pan-Fried Tofu Recipe. Now, together with me find out the details of the article
1. How To Cook Tofu & FAQs
1.1. What is tofu made of?
Tofu is made of soybean milk/curd. Soybeans are oval-shaped, dry, yellow beans with a butter-like flavor and texture. There are various kinds of Tofu available in the market such as silken tofu; firm regular tofu; extra-firm regular tofu; and prepared tofu. The “extra-firm regular tofu” is suitable for pan-frying, as well as baking in the oven.
1.2. Can I eat tofu raw?
Yes, tofu can be eaten raw! You can open a packet of tofu and eat it right away without any seasonings! The reason being that tofu is made with soybeans which are meticulously cleaned and cooked before pressing and packing them. If you want to eat raw tofu opt for the soft-block and silken variety!
That said, irrespective of which variety of tofu you purchase, it is necessary to drain off the extra water present in the tofu block. Another way is to soak the tofu block in a bowl of fresh water just before consuming it.
1.3. How do you Press Tofu?
You can press tofu in either of the two methods given below:-
- Paper Towels: Wrap the tofu block with paper towels. Place the wrapped tofu on a chopping board/tray and put a heavy pan/container (for weight) on top. The extracted water will be soaked by the paper towels.
- Tofu Press: There are various metal/plastic tofu presses available in the market. To use that you simply put the tofu in the middle bowl, place the top bowl on the tofu and lock the sides. The bottom bowl will hold the extracted water.
Both the methods to press tofu need 15-30 minutes. The result is a solid & dense textured tofu block which is ready for cutting and cooking.
1.4. How to Cut Tofu?
To cut tofu into equal-sized cubes:-
- First, cut the tofu lengthwise in half.
- Flip the tofu holding both pieces together and cut in half again length-wise.
- Then, cut the tofu breadth-wise in half.
- Cut the bread-wise halved portions in halves as well.
2. How to Cook Tofu in a Pan | Crispy Pan-Fried Tofu Recipe
- A block of extra-firm tofu (15-16 ounces)
- 4-5 tablespoons of olive oil (or any vegetable oil)
- Salt (optional)
How long to cook tofu in a pan?
It takes about 20 minutes to fry the tofu in a pan!
Step 1: Start by unpacking the tofu block and pressing it for 15-30 minutes so that the excess water is drained and you are left with a dense block. (*tofu pressing technique is mentioned above)
Step 2: Next, you can cut the tofu into an-inch thick cubes, then you transfer all the pieces into a zip-lock bag, seal the bag, and put it in the freezer for 4-6 hours.
Step 3: After that, you have to place a skillet on the stove. Please remember that it must be over medium-high heat and drizzle the olive oil (4-5 tablespoons).
Step 4: Once the oil is nice and hot, you can release the top tofu cubes into the skillet. (* ensure not to overcrowd the skillet, and place the tofu pieces in a single layer without over-lapping)
Step 5: Cook each side of the tofu cubes for 3 minutes. Do not stir. Leave the tofu alone until they are beautifully golden brown. Then, flip the side using tongs and transfer to a cooling rack.
Step 6: Once cooled, serve the crispy fried tofu seasoned with salt or along with a sauce/dip. Consume within a few hours of frying or else they will no-longer be crispy
Now that you know – How To Cook Tofu in a pan, I hope with the detailed step by step instructions in the article you can easily making pan-fried tofu recipe at home. You can pair it with your favorite stir-fries, salads, and baked cuisines.
Read More: Baked Tofu Recipe