How To Cook Ribs in The Oven? If you’re looking for answers to questions, don’t go anywhere because you’re in the right place. Besides, in this article, you will also be guided – How to Remove the Membrane ? and How to Choose Good Ribs?
1. How Many Types of Pork Ribs?
- Spare Ribs come from the lower belly portion or the pig. It’s a large & fatty rib. Compared to the rest of the three ribs, spare ribs are the least meaty. That said, it is super delicious for its fat content.
- Baby/Loin Back Ribs is got from high on the pigs back around the loin area. It’s meaty, lean & has minimal cartilage. As goes for the bone, it’s the exact one which is also present in the pork rib chops (with bone), but it doesn’t contain the remaining loin muscle.
- Country Style Ribs are extracted from the upper shoulder portion (on the loin’s end). It beats the other rib variety in the meat & bone ratio.
- St. Louis Style Ribs shares the same rib cage as that of spare ribs. It’s a fatty rib, less meaty yet tastes great when prepped and cooked appropriately.
2. How to Choose Good Ribs?
- Opt for ribs with a good amount of meat on the bone, which has minimal surface fat.
- A piece of fresh ribs at first glance you have to see it fresh, pale pink.
- Fresh pork ribs are when you smell the ribs do not smell the rancid
- When buying ribs, you should touch the ribs with your hand to test its elasticity. If the ribs are of good quality, you will feel the ribs dry and still retain elastic.
3. How to Remove the Membrane?
The membrane is the tough, slippery & chewy white thing stuck on the bottom of the baby back rib. To remove this membrane, loosen a little portion at one end using a butter knife. Then grab it with a paper towel (so that it doesn’t slip off) and peel it off all the way to the end.
4. How To Cook Ribs in the Oven
- 4 – 5 pounds pork spare ribs or baby back rib (membrane-removed)
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons salt
- ½ Tablespoons cayenne pepper powder
- A cup of beer
- 1/3 cup of barbecue sauce
- 2½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons garlic (peeled & minced)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
How Long To Cook Ribs in the Oven
Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes; Cook Time: 2 hours and 10 minutes
Instructions – How To Bake Ribs
Step 1: Place a large aluminum foil sheet on a baking tray and put the spare rib on it.
Step 2: Prepare the dry rub by mixing the brown sugar with salt and cayenne pepper powder. Put half of the dry rub mixture on the top of the rib and massage all over. Flip the rib, add the remaining half mixture and coat the second side as well. Wrap the rib entirely with the foil sheet and let it marinade on the kitchen top for an hour.
Step 3: Set the oven for preheating at 230°F for 10 minutes.
Step 4: Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Heat a pot on the stove, add the beer, and let it come to a boil. Next, add the minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, barbecue sauce, & black pepper powder. Stir well and let the sauce simmer for 6-7 minutes until thick.
Step 5: Now, make a small opening at one end of the foil-wrapped marinated rib. Pour the entire sauce carefully through the opening and seal the foil again.
Step 6: Place the baking tray gently into the preheated oven and let it bake for 2 hours.
Step 7: Take the tray out of the oven, open an end, & drain the sauce in a pot. Place the pot in the stove and let the sauce cook until it intensifies. Turn off the stove.
Step 8: Now, unseal the spare rib. Brush the thick sauce on top of the rib coating it nicely. Put the tray back in the oven (rib should be uncovered this time) to broil for 5-10 minutes. Once the sauce turns dark brownish, take the rib out of the oven and serve with steamed green beans and mashed potatoes.
Tips When Cooking Ribs in the Oven
Marinating the pork spare ribs with the dry rub should not be skipped as it helps infuse the flavors into the meat. You may also leave the foil-wrapped marinated rib in the fridge overnight or for 7-8 hours.
For additional flavor, you can add steak sauce into the sauce mixture.
I hope after reading the article you can understand – How to cook ribs in the oven. Please buy fresh ribs and try cooking it at home tonight! Good luck to you!
Read More: How To Cook Sausages