Read on to learn how to cook Fresh Beets easily in the oven, microwave, instant pot, stove & grill. Additionally, you’ll find some key pointers on choosing, storing, prepping, & eating beets. At the end of the write-up, there is a short section on the health benefits of beets as well!
1. How to Cook Beets & FAQs
When choosing Fresh Beets, take note of the following points:
- Check the surface of the beets! Those with a smooth exterior, hard feet, round-shape, cut/spot-free skin is a good pick! Strictly avoid the squishy beets having moist areas and wrinkled or bruised skin.
- As for the taproot extending from the beet, make sure it is slender. Avoid those with a thick taproot.
- If the beet still has its leaves, check that the leaves are dark greenish, tiny, and crisp!
- A beet having no leaf is fine, but it must have a 0.5-inch stem & 2 inches taproot attached. This saves the beets from releasing its color during the cooking process.
- If you are buying beets to consume them raw in a fresh salad, or want them to cook quickly then opt for the small-sized young beets. They are soft, cook fast, have a smooth texture, and their diameter is 1.5 inches.
- With regards to cooking, medium-sized beets are good too! Only be wary of the large-sized beets which have a tough texture, inedible woody cores, and are 2.5 inches in diameter.
- Do not buy mixed sizes; always purchase similar sized beets for even cooking result.
When storing Beets, keep the following in mind:
- Store young small beets with the greens attached as it helps them stay fresh longer.
- Store medium-sized or large beets by keeping the stem and removing the greens. Avoid washing the beets. Store dry in the fridge to last for 10 days.
What is the best way to eat beets?
So, the best way to eat beets while retaining all its nutrients is to have them raw. Baby beets are most suitable to enjoy raw in salad, juices, and dips.
Since many people do not enjoy the raw taste of beets; they can steam, boil, or bake them over low heat to retain all the nutrients. Those who prefer a crisp texture in their veggies; can roast or grill the beets while preserving the essential vitamins & minerals!
2. How to cook Beets in the Oven – Roasted Beets Recipe
- 6-7 medium-sized beets
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
How long to cook beets in the oven?
It takes 45 minutes to 2 hours to cook beets in the oven! The roasting time varies depending on the size of the beets. Smaller beets roast within 25 minutes while the medium and large ones take longer.
Step 1: Set the oven for preheating at 450°F. Place the rack in the middle and grease a baking dish (9*13) generously with olive oil.
Step 2: Prep the beets by trimming off the leaves and extra stem, leave 2-inches of the stem and let the tail remain intact. Wash the beets thoroughly (you may scrub gently without affecting the skin) to get rid of the dirt stuck on the surface. Pat dry!
Step 3: Transfer the prepped beets to the greased baking dish and spread them out in a single layer leaving a little gap between each beet.
Step 4: Cover the baking dish with an aluminum foil sheet and transfer to the middle rack of the preheated oven. Roast for 45minutes- 120 minutes. At every 30 minutes interval flip each beet with the help of tongs.
Step 5: For perfect roasted beets, start doing the skewer test after 45 minutes of roasting time. Insert the skewer to see if it goes in effortlessly, if yes then the beets are done! If not continue to roast for 10 more minutes and do the skewer test again till the beets are done.
Step 6: Once the beets are done roasting, take them out of the oven, uncover, and let them cool for 10 minutes. Once cool enough to touch, peel off the skin wearing gloves (to avoid stains). Enjoy the roasted beets with some salt and pepper seasoning!
3. How to Cook Beets in the Instant Pot
- 6-7 medium-sized beets (stems and leaves trimmed)
- 1.5 cups of water
How long to Cook Beets in an instant pot?
It takes 12-15 minutes to cook beets in an instant pot!
Instructions – How To Steam Beets in an Instant Pot
Step 1: Pour the water (1.5 cups) in the Instant Pot.
Step 2: Now, insert the steaming rack in the Instant pot and put the prepped beet on the rack. Close the lid and adjust the valve on the sealing position.
Step 3: Press the ‘Pressure Cooker’ button and steam the beets for 12 minutes on high pressure. After completing the 12 minutes cooking time, turn the valve to venting to release the pressure quickly.
Step 4: Uncover the lid and check the beets doneness by inserting a skewer or knife. If it glides in smoothly then the beets are perfectly steamed, if not then reseal the lid and cook on high pressure for 3-5 more minutes.
Step 5: Once done, transfer the beets to a dish. Let them cool for 5-10 minutes. Pell off the skin with bare hands or by wearing rubber gloves.
To serve, slice up the steamed beets, sprinkle your favorite seasoning, add a few fresh herbs (such as mint or basil leaves) and relish!
4. How to cook Beets on the Stove
- 4-5 medium-sized beets
How long to Cook Beets on the Stove?
It takes 30-35 minutes to boil Beets on the stove!
Instructions – How to Boil Beets
Step 1: When prepping the beets before boiling, do not trim off the entire stem, instead leave 2 inches of the stem. Also, leave the root end attached. At the time of washing, avoid scrubbing the surface and simply rinse the beets with water. Scrubbing the surface can create fine lines which can make the beets bleed during the boiling process.
Step 2: Fill a pot with 60-70% of water and transfer the prepped beets. The beets should be submerged in the water.
Step 3: Place the pot on the stove over high heat and bring the water to a boil. As soon as the water starts boiling, cover the pot with a lid, reduce the heat to low, and let it simmer for 30 minutes. After cooking is done! Turn off the stove and drain the water.
Step 4: Transfer the boiled beets to a colander and rinse with cool water. Peel off the skin.
Step 5: To serve, slice the beets into round disks, drizzle with a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil, add 1.5 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle some salt & pepper seasoning!
5. How to cook Beets on the Grill – Grill Beets Recipe
- 5-6 beets
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (or butter)
- Salt & pepper seasoning (to taste)
How long to cook Beets on the Grill?
It takes 30-35 minutes to grill beets!
Instructions – How To Grill Beets
- Ready the grill by preheating it on high.
- Place a large aluminum sheet on a bowl. Coat the foil sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Put the prepped beets (washed, leaves removed, and stems trimmed leaving 2-inches) on the aluminum sheet, drizzle the olive oil (or add an equal amount of melted/softened butter), and sprinkle salt and pepper seasoning.
- Mix the beets to coat them evenly with the oil and seasoning. Now wrap the aluminum foil so that all the beets are inside the foil sheet.
- Put the foil package on the preheated grill. Let it cook for half an hour.
- Remove the package from the grill, uncover the foil wrap cautiously, and let the beets cool for 5-10 minutes.
This grilled beet recipe can be served with skin-on! It is up to you whether you want to enjoy them peeled or with skin!
6. Health Benefits of Beets
Beetroot is highly fibrous and contains Vitamin B9, Vitamin C, folate, manganese, iron & potassium in good amounts. Being fibrous, beets improve the gut health, plus being low-fat, low in calories and rich in manganese, consuming this veggie can help in weight loss. Their anti-oxidant properties aid in detoxifying and cleansing the body!
Furthermore, beets can assist in lowering blood pressure and has been proven healthy for those having diabetes!
Now, you are well brushed with how to cook beets in 4 different ways- the roasted version, the steamed way, the boiled style, and the yummy grilled delight! Pick the way you desire to cook your beets and devour them as much as you please!
Read More: How To Cook Broccoli