With a sweet taste, Butternut squash has many ways to cook such as stir-frying, boiling/steaming, soups, and make roasted butternut squash recipe. However, in my opinion, the best way to cook and enjoy butternut squash is to roast it in an oven sprinkled with fragrant spices. Therefore, let’s check out how to roast butternut squash in the oven quickly and conveniently. Before that below are a few tips on buying a good quality fresh butternut squash.
1. How To Prepare Butternut Squash
1.1. How to Pick a Good Butternut Squash
The best way to find out a good quality ripe, moist and tender butternut squash is to try the following some handy tips:
- Weight: Guess the heaviness of a few squashes in your hand! Go with the heaviest one. Additionally, tap a little to see if it seems hollow inside. It sure indicates a beautifully ripe butternut squash.
- Skin Color: Inspect the tan-yellow skin color of the squashes and you should select a butternut squash have a thick skin, tough exterior and evenly colored
- Other Noticeable Signs: Choose a clean surfaced squash avoiding those with cuts, brown marks, tender spots, or cracks. These signs show that the fruit will rot/mold quickly.
1.2. How to Peel and Cut a Butternut Squash
To prepare the butternut squash (peeling & cutting into cubes) follow the steps given below:
- First slice off both ends (stem end & bottom end) of the butternut squash with a sharp knife.
- Then, use a peeler to peel off the outer skin.
- Now, place the peeled butternut squash in a standing position on the chopping board. Cut into half by running the knife from stem end to the bottom.
- Next, scoop out the gut and seeds with a spoon.
- Cut each half in the middle. Now you have 4 pieces.
- Take 1 piece, cut lengthwise into thin strips (about 1-inch thickness). Hold the strips together (with your other hand) and cut breadthwise (about 1-inch thickness) to get cubes.
- Repeat Step 6 with the remaining 3 pieces of butternut squash.
Equipment needed: Knife, peeler, & spoon.
2. Roasted Butternut Squash Recipe
- 1 Butternut squash (gut & seeds removed, cut into 1-ich cubes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt, pepper & oregano seasoning
- Parsley leaves (freshly chopped for garnishing)
- A baking tray, aluminum sheet, and fork
How Long To Roast Butternut Squash
It takes about 30 minutes (5 minutes of prepping and 25 minutes oven time) to roast butternut squash.
Instructions – How To Roast Butternut Squash in the Oven
Step 1: Set the oven at 400°F for preheating.
Step 2: Put the squash in a large bowl and mix it with olive oil. Also, sprinkle salt, pepper & oregano seasoning. Line the baking tray with foil paper. Then spread and arrange the squash into a single layer on the baking sheet
Step 3: Place the tray in the oven for 25 minutes. Until the squash is tender. Serve the roasted butternut squash by garnishing with some freshly chopped parsley leaves.
That’s how to roast butternut squash in the oven. It pretty easy, isn’t it? I hope you will successfully make this roasted butternut squash recipe