Do you know How To Cook Cabbage healthy? If not, please read carefully this article. This is the best-sauteed cabbage recipe that we would recommend and guide you. Let’s go!
1. How to Choose Good Cabbage
- A medium-sized green cabbage with a firm head and good weight is a great pick.
- See that the cabbage you choose has lots of outer leaves on the head. As for the bottom of the cabbage, ensure the leaves are not drooping from its stem.
- Select those cabbages that have fresh natural shine on the leaves, are crisp in texture, and do not have any spots/discoloration.
- November-April is the harvesting time for cabbages and therefore purchasing during those months will help you avail the freshest crops.
2. How To Prepare Cabbage
Prep the cabbage by discarding all the bruised outer leaves. Then, cut it into 4 equal parts, chop off and remove the tough core. Next shred the cabbage using a mandolin or slice thinly with a knife. Transfer to a sieve, rinse thoroughly and shake off excess water.
3. Sauteed Cabbage Recipe
- 2 pounds of white cabbage
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic (peeled and minced finely)
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 lemon wedges
- 1 chopped green chili or red chili flakes (optional)
How long to Saute Cabbage
It takes 15-20 minutes to sauté cabbage!
Instructions – How to Saute Cabbage
Step 1: Place a wok (or wide pan) on the stove at medium-high heat. Drizzle the olive oil!
Step 2: As the oil gets hot, release the shredded cabbage in the wok. (*Do not worry if the wok/pan seems overcrowded as the leaves will reduce by 50-60% after cooking)
Step 3: Add the minced garlic, chili, and season with salt. Cook the cabbages for 12-15 minutes by stirring at regular intervals.
Step 4: Once the cabbages reduce in quantity, appear slightly brownish and become soft, they are done! Turn off the stove, squeeze both lemon wedges, and mix. Taste test to adjust the seasoning and transfer to a serving dish.
- For meat additions, you can pan-fry chopped bacon pieces until crisp and add it to this cabbage recipe right before serving. Sausages can be used as well!
- If you like a little aromatic spice flavor in your fried veggies then you may add a teaspoon of cumin powder along with turmeric powder.
- Turmeric powder is packed with health benefits but it will change the color of your fried cabbage giving it a slight yellowish tinge. In case you don’t want that, skip it!
Now, you know the best way to cook cabbage, you can easily prepare a good meal for yourself at home. Although it is not difficult, not almost people know this. Please try many times until you can get familiar with this sauteed cabbage recipe
Read More: How To Steam Broccoli