Sauteed mushrooms recipe is a scrumptious way of infusing a healthy dish to your daily diet. Read on to learn two sauteed mushroom recipes- one with garlic butter and the other with onions.
You can relish them for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner. Sautéed mushrooms make a fabulous starter or side! They taste incredible with home-baked bread, pasta, as well as steamed rice.
Each of the sautéed mushrooms recipes is easy requires minimal ingredients, and cooks within 15-20 minutes.
1. How Do You Clean Mushrooms?
Different mushrooms are cleaned differently:-
- Wiping: This method is best suited for smooth-capped mushrooms like Button or Portobello Mushrooms. You need to wipe the caps and stems using a damp paper towel very gently.
- Brushing: This technique is suitable for cleaning mushrooms like Chanterelle.
- Rinsing: You can also rinse the mushrooms under running water to clean the dirt/soil. Do remember that after rinsing; shake the mushrooms well to remove the excess water that may be stuck in the gills (the spot underneath the cap). Mushrooms should be rinsed just before cooking!
- Soaking: When using dried mushrooms, soak them in a bowl of warm water (or broth) for 15-20 minutes until the mushrooms soften. Take out the mushrooms on a plate. Filter the water (through cheesecloth) for later use.
2. Sauteed Mushrooms Recipes
2.1. Sauteed Mushrooms with Garlic Butter
- 450 grams button mushrooms (cleaned & cut in half)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper
- A pinch of salt (or as needed)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons dill (freshly chopped)
Step 1: Place a wide saucepan on the stove over medium-high heat. Pour the olive oil and let it heat up.
Step 2: Transfer the halved button mushrooms to the pan. Sprinkle the salt and pepper seasoning. Toss the mushrooms to cover them with the oil and seasoning.
Step 3: Now, let the mushrooms cook in the pan in a single layer without overlapping for 3 minutes. Adjust the flame to medium.
Step 4: Next, stir fry the mushrooms for 2-3 minutes.
Step 5: Add the butter, minced garlic, and garlic powder. Adjust the flame to medium-low. Fry for 4 minutes by stirring continuously.
Step 6: Turn off the gas. Add the dill. Give it a quick mix and take out the mushrooms on a serving dish.
Your savory “Sautéed Mushrooms with Garlic Butter” is ready! Enjoy!
2.2. Sauteed Mushrooms with Onions
- 450 grams baby button mushrooms (cleaned)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion (large-sized) (thinly sliced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves (chopped) (for garnishing)
- Place a sauté pan on the stove at medium-high heat. Pour the oil and heat it.
- Next, add the sliced onions and minced garlic. Cook by stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Once the onions turn yellowish, add the baby button mushrooms.
- Cook the mushrooms for 10-12 minutes by stirring regularly.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Mix it with the mushrooms & onions for a minute.
- Pour the vegetable stock. Cook for 4-5 minutes and turn off the stove.
Serve the drool-worthy “Sautéed Mushrooms with Onions” garnished with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
3. Tips for Sauteed Mushrooms
3.1. For the sauteed mushroom with garlic butter
- You can substitute dill with various other herbs such as parsley, chives, and thyme.
- If using salted butter, taste the mushrooms and add salt only if needed.
- You may increase or decrease the amount of minced garlic as per your taste preference.
3.2. For the sauteed mushroom with onion
- For additional flavor, you may use 1 tablespoon oil and 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Soy sauce & tamari sauce are good substitutes for Worcestershire sauce.
- In place of vegetable stock, you may use white wine, lime juice or water.
4. Nutrition Value
100 grams of sautéed button mushrooms contain:
- Calories: 22
- Carbohydrates: 3g
- Protein: 3g
- Sugar: 2g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Potassium: 318mg
- Sodium: 5mg
- Vitamin C: 3%
- Iron: 2%
- Fat: 0%
Try these two types of delectable sautéed mushrooms recipe and decide for yourself which one you like better.