This is one of the best Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe. The result is a mouthwatering beef stew packed with tender meat, bold flavorful sauce, inviting aroma, and juicy delicious veggies.
1. Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
- 3-pound beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons spice seasoning (1½ teaspoons onion powder; 1½ teaspoons garlic powder; ½ teaspoon allspice powder; 1 teaspoon oregano; 2-3 teaspoons cayenne pepper; 1-1½ teaspoon salt)
- 5 potatoes (peeled & quartered)
- 3 carrots (peeled and sliced)
- 2-3 small shallots (peeled and halved)
- 2-3 celery stocks (chopped)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup Red Wine
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons brown gravy mix
- A slow cooker, 2 bowls, peeler, knife, & whisker
How long to cook a pot roast in the slow cooker
Preparation: 15-20 minutes; Cook Time: 6-8 hours
Step 1: Take a small bowl and mix all the spice seasoning (onion powder, garlic powder, allspice powder, oregano, cayenne pepper, & salt) in it.
Step 2: Place the chuck roast on the chopping board (or a dish) and massage the olive oil on it. Next, coat the meat all over with the spice seasoning mixture. (*Rub the visible sides first, then flip the meat and rub the bottom side). Let the beef marinate on the kitchen top for a few minutes while prepping the veggies.
Step 3: To prep the veggies (potatoes, carrots, shallots, & celery stocks):
- First, wash them. Next, peel the potatoes, carrots, and shallots.
- Cut the potatoes in 4 equal parts; slice the carrots into 2-inch thick pieces; half the shallots (if they are medium/large-sized then dice them); chop the celery stocks roughly.
Step 4: Transfer the prepped veggies at the base of the slow-cooker to make a bed for the beef. Then gently put the marinated meat on the vegetable layer.
Step 5: Take a large bowl and pour the beef broth, red wine, and water into it. Add the brown gravy mix and whisk for a few seconds. Transfer the liquid mixture into the slow-cooker.
Step 6: Plug in the slow-cooker, turn it on and let it cook for 8 hours on low. (*If you are short of time, you can cook it on high for 2 hours and then on low for 4 hours)
To serve, take out the chuck roast in a dish. Carefully slice it across the grain to the desired thickness and place 2-3 slices on the serving dish. Pour a ladle of sauce on the meat slices and place the flavorsome veggies on the side.
Tips For Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe
You may skip the olive oil if willing, but coating the meat with the oil helps the dry spice seasoning powder stick to the meat. It also adds flavor.
- An easy way to thicken the sauce is to strain it in a bowl and mix 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour.
- For those who prefer mild heat, reduce the amount of cayenne pepper. You can also substitute cayenne pepper with paprika powder or ground black pepper.
- For additional flavor, you can add fresh herbs to the recipe such as thyme.
- In case you wish to add mushrooms to the recipe, clean it, and add along with the veggies.
If you have been looking for a tender beef stew dish then this is the best Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe. The flavors, textures, and fragrance of the slow-cooked soft meat dish are utterly satisfying.