Kielbasa (also known as Krakauer) is Poland’s classic sausage! It is available as raw, semi-cooked or fully cooked sausages. They are easy to cook and taste delicious in a wide range of recipes! You may relish steamed kielbasa in soups, roast them with potatoes, fry them with pasta or grill them with pierogies. Let’s have a look at ingredient details and how to cook Kielbasa on the stove or in the oven.
Kielbasa was originally made at rural Polish homes using ground pork, garlic, marjoram herb, salt & pepper. Nowadays, they are prepared with various meats such as chicken, turkey, lamb, and beef.
When preparing Kielbasa, the meat goes through a curing process and then it’s flavored with diverse spices.
Kielbasa’s intense garlic taste, coarse meat texture & authentic Polish making technique distinguish it from other types of sausages.
How to Cook Kielbasa
Cooking Kielbasa depends primarily on the type of kielbasa being used. There are 3 varieties available:-
- Biala/White Kielbasa: It is raw, white-colored, and has to be boiled before frying, baking, or grilling. It can be consumed immediately after boiling as well.
- Regular Kielbasa (Zwyczajna): It can be consumed without cooking yet heating (by frying/baking/grilling) it for a few minutes is a safe way to eat it!
- Dried Kielbasa: This can be consumed directly without boiling or heating.
Below I have mentioned how to fry or bake “Regular Kielbasa” on the Stove or in the oven.
In case you have purchased “White Kielbasa”, follow these steps to cook it-
- Fill half of a medium-sized pot with water (broth or stock). Add 2 Kielbasa sausages.
- Place the pot on the stove in high flame until the water comes to a boil.
- Then, turn the flame to medium-low and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
The kielbasa is perfectly cooked when its temperature is between 168°F-174°F. You can slice up the boiled kielbasa and add them to your soup or move on to fry/bake/grill the pieces for enhanced taste.
How to Cook Kielbasa on Stove
You can cook Regular Kielbasa in the stove within 10 minutes!
Things you’ll need:
- 1 Regular Kielbasa
- 1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or any cooking oil of your preference)
- A non-stick pan, spatula & knife
Step 1: Place the pan on the stove and adjust the flame to medium.
Step 2: Drizzle olive oil. (Only 1 teaspoon is enough as kielbasa releases oil while frying)
Step 3: While the oil is heating, slice up the kielbasa into medium-thick pieces.
Step 4: Add the slices to the pan and fry them for 7-9 minutes by continuously turning the pieces every minute to save them from burning.
Take out the nicely fried brown kielbasa slices on a paper towel to drain excess oil. You may chop up some veggies and fry them along with the kielbasa for a wholesome meal.
How to Cook Kielbasa in Oven
It takes 15-20 minutes to cook Kielbasa in the oven!
Things you’ll need:
- 2 Kielbasa
- Baking tray
- A pair of tongs or spatula
Step 1: Place the oven rack in the middle and set the temperature at 325°F for preheating.
Step 2: Put the kielbasa in the baking tray and transfer the tray into the oven. (If the whole kielbasa fits in your baking tray there is no need to cut them in half).
Step 3: Bake them for 15-20 minutes. Use the tongs to flip the kielbasa every 5 minutes for an evenly baked result.
Step 4: After 15-20 minutes, get it out of the oven and allow it to sit for 2-3 minutes.
To check for its doneness, see if the baked kielbasa has reached a temperature of 160°F.
Now that you know how to cook kielbasa on the stove and in the oven, hopefully, you will give this delectable Polish sausage a try!
Read More: How To Cook Jasmine Rice