Polish Sausage or also has another name is Kielbasa. If you are looking for what’s the best way to cook kielbasa?, don’t worry because today I will introduce you to How to cook Kielbasa on the stove & in the Oven.
1. What is Kielbasa Sausage?
Kielbasa was originally made at rural Polish homes using ground pork, garlic, marjoram herb, salt & pepper. Nowadays, they are prepared with various meats such as chicken, turkey, lamb, and beef. When preparing Kielbasa, the meat goes through a curing process, and then it’s flavored with diverse spices. Kielbasa’s intense garlic taste, coarse meat texture & authentic Polish making technique distinguish it from other types of sausages.
2. How Many Types of Kielbasa are there?
Cooking Kielbasa depends primarily on the type of kielbasa being used. There are 3 varieties available:
- Fresh Kielbasa: It is raw, white-colored, if you want to use it, place the fresh Kielbasa in a large pot then add just enough boiling water to cover the sausage and cover. Simmer for 50 minutes until internal temperature reaches 168 ° F. Be careful to check the amount of water regularly and add water as needed, finally using tongs to remove the sausage and dry it. You can slice up the boiled kielbasa and add them to your soup or move on to fry/bake/grill the pieces for enhanced taste.
- Smoked Kielbasa: It can be consumed without cooking, heating (by frying/baking/grilling) it for a few minutes is a safe way to eat it!. I usually buy Turkey Polska Kielbasa from the Hillshire Farms brand.
- Dried Kielbasa: This can be consumed directly without boiling or heating.
3. How to Cook Kielbasa
- 1 Smoked Kielbasa or Fresh Kielbasa has been cooked
- 1 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or any cooking oil of your preference)
- A non-stick pan, spatula & knife
- Baking tray
- A pair of tongs or spatula
Instructions – Fry on the Stove
Step 1: Place the pan on the stove and adjust the flame to medium.
Step 2: Drizzle olive oil. (Only 1 teaspoon is enough as kielbasa releases oil while frying)
Step 3: While the oil is heating, slice up the kielbasa into medium-thick pieces.
Step 4: Add the slices to the pan and fry them for 7-9 minutes until turning brown by continuously turning the pieces every minute to save them from burning.
Take out the nicely fried brown kielbasa slices on a paper towel to drain excess oil. You may chop up some veggies and fry them along with the kielbasa for a wholesome meal.
Instructions – Roast in the Oven
Step 1: Place the oven rack in the middle and set the temperature at 325°F for preheating.
Step 2: Put the sausage in the baking tray and transfer the tray into the oven. (If the whole sausage fits in your baking tray there is no need to cut them in half).
Step 3: Roast sausage for 15-20 minutes. Use the tongs to flip the sausage every 5 minutes for an evenly roasted result.
Step 4: After 15-20 minutes, get it out of the oven and allow it to sit for 2-3 minutes then enjoy. You can serve it with roasted cauliflower, roasted brussels sprouts, roasted potatoes, and steamed broccoli
If you love Poland and sausages, you should know How to cook Polish Sausage and try doing it at least once. You will love the taste as well as the color of this dish soon.
Read More: Baked Italian Sausages