Let’s check “How to cook Wild Rice” in two different apparatus- the rice cooker and Instant pot. Before moving to the cooking process a brief bit on wild rice, its health benefits, and cooking tips.
1. What is Wild Rice?
Wild rice is a type of seed belonging to the long-grain marsh grass that originated in North America. Its long-grains have a distinct glossy dark brown or purple-colored outer sheath and a highly nutritious grain inside.
The exclusive nutty taste and chewy texture of the wild rice make it a perfect ingredient for pilafs, soups, salads, and stuffing.
2. Health Benefits of Wild Rice
Wild rice is packed with dietary fiber which improves digestion. Therefore, it safeguards from diarrhea, bloating, acidity, & constipation. It helps keep the heart-healthy.
Being packed with Vitamin C & phosphorus, wild rice strengthens the immune system and bones immensely. It is a gluten-free, mineral-rich & low-calorie food that assists in losing weight. The antioxidants present in wild rice offer visible anti-aging results.
3. Tips When Cooking Wild Rice
- You’ll know your wild rice is cooked when the outer sheath’s shine goes away, the grains split up, become tender, and the raw dark brownish color turns a shade lighter.
- The ratio for cooking wild rice is 1:3 (1 cup rice needs 3 cups of water).
- A cup of raw wild rice yields almost 3 cups of cooked wild rice. Therefore, measure accordingly and cook as per necessity.
- To enhance the flavor you may substitute filtered water with vegetable broth, seafood broth, or chicken broth.
- The wild rice does not stick to the bottom or sides when cooked correctly. Yet, if you have doubts you may grease the rice cooker or instant pot’s bowl with butter, oil or non-stick cooking spray.
- Wild rice has a chewy texture and after cooking it does not become soft like white rice. Therefore, avoid pouring additional water over the cooked rice and turning on the rice cooker/instant pot for a softer texture. This will only ruin the wild rice and lead to soggy mush.
4. How to Cook Wild Rice in a Rice Cooker
4.1. Things you’ll need
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 cups of water (filtered)
- A pinch of salt (optional) (it adds a flavor)
- A 6-cup Rice Cooker, a ladle, & a fork
4.2. How Long to Cook Wild Rice in a Rice Cooker?
The wild rice cooks for 55-58 minutes in the rice cooker’s cook mode and then switches to warm mode automatically.
4.3. Cooking Process:
Step 1: Start by rinsing the wild rice under the tap water.
Step 2: Transfer the cleaned wild rice (1 cup) into the rice cooker’s bowl (which is placed inside the rice cooker).
Step 3: Pour the water (3 cups) over the rice wild.
Step 4: Sprinkle some salt and give the ingredients a quick stir using the ladle.
Step 5: Cover with the lid and turn on the rice cooker.
Step 6: Let it cook for 55-58 minutes. After which the rice cooker will automatically switch to warm mode so there is no risk of the rice getting over-cooked.
Step 7: Let the rice sit for 5 minutes in the steam. Then, uncover the lid and fluff up with the fork.
Your nutritious wild rice is gorgeously cooked and ready to serve! You may serve it with roast vegetables, cheese, or grilled turkey/chicken.
5. How to Cook Wild Rice in Instant Pot
5.1. Things you’ll need
- 2 cups Wild Rice
- 6 cups of Water
- 6-quarts Instant Pot & a Fork
5.2. How Long to Cook Wild Rice in Instant Pot?
It takes about 40 minutes to cook wild rice in the Instant Pot.
5.3. Cooking Process
Step 1: Rinse the wild rice thoroughly and drain any excess water.
Step 2: Put the rice into the instant pot and pour 6 cups of water.
Step 3: Cover with the lid and press the “Multi-Grain setting” on the Instant Pot. It will automatically show 40 minutes of cooking time.
Step 4: Once the time is up, let the pot release the pressure.
Step 5: now, remove the lid, fluff the rice using the fork, and serve.
You can relish the aromatic fibrous wild rice with cold salads or warm vegetable soup.
That’s how to cook wild rice easily on the rice cooker & instant pot. Incorporate the nutritious wild rice in your meals for a flavorsome & healthy diet.